Niles can eat! Niles can Poop! Niles can Pee! But Niles is still working on the breast thing. Our lactation consultant that we have been seeing for the past 3 days has been very helpful, but when she is gone there is frustration between Niles and I. I thought this wasn't supposed to start until at least the terrible twos! Great, karma is a bitch isn't it! Anyhow, we made it through a second night of piggy wiglet eating from bottles of pumped breast milk and formula. I am still hoping things will catch on eventually, so i will continue to pump every time Niles eats. This is called "protecting the milk supply." We will go about like this for at least a month, or until Niles figures it out, or until I can't take anymore. All I know is that when I am exhausted at 4:30 am, but know I have to pump for the pea pod, it makes it really hard to want to continue.
We had lots of visitors in the hospital, it was so wonderful to see such happy faces on our friends and family, and to feel the love! Thank you to those that came to visit.
Matt has been amazing. I really don't know what I would do without him, I would surely fail at the breastfeeding thing, and go straight to the formula, but he helps with the midnight feedings, changings, burpings, everything. He is planning to work a little tomorrow, and then goes back full time Monday. That will also be an interesting change.
I also want to say to those mothers out there, that I finally understand the hard work that it takes, I finally understand that help is very much needed and truly appreciated, and I finally understand the importance of a mother/child bond and that other priorities now exist in our life. To those that are not moms, but will be some day, please call and let me lend a helping hand, as it is the love and helping hands that make those first few days, weeks, months possible.

12 comments:
YEY Niles!! Sounds like all the right systems are working!! He'll figure out the breast feeding thing in due time, I'm sure. I can't wait to see you guys again!! Call me when you get a chance, wanted to chat about this weekend! Love and miss!! Take care of the little guy (and big guy, I guess) :)
Congrats again....he's gorgeous. And take care of yourself, Kate. Nursing is a tough job, so be patient with both you and Niles and I'm sure it will come with time. I remember the tears, frustration, pain and stress involved in getting used to nursing. It's worth it if it works, but if not, life goes on. All of you will get to a happy schedule soon and the love will just keep growing and growing in the Upton household. Lots of hugs and love from me and Uncle Steve..Aunt Mary Jo
I love you and am so proud of you! From wee-wad yourself to a grown mother, it's truly a blessing to have you in my life. keep up the good work and I will be there anytime, anywhere.
Dawn
Kate, he is beautiful! Or as you put it, cute as all get out. Sounds like you are settling in a little bit. Keep working at the feeding thing, because really, who could resist those breasts of yours?! He'll learn in due time :) You're doing great, mama!!!
-Melissa
You were truly cut out for your new role Kate! Can't wait to see your new family!!
Nice work Kate! Yes, the breastfeeding AND pumping are a pain in the buttox! But, if you can keep at it, it is worth it in the end! Not only for all of the WONDERFUL reasons for you and Niles bonding and health and wat not...but ALSO...most of us lucky ladies don't get a period the whole time we're nursing! ;) Oh ya!! Good stuff! Going on 17 months!
What a beautiful(handsome) addition to your and our family. Welcome, Niles and love the black hair - seems all our babes emerge with it! Yes it truly takes two parents to get through the first few weeks - Way to go Matt and Katie Babe. Love to you three! Aunt Jo and Uncle Tom
Yeah! You're simply awesome, Kate! Sounds like things are going well and Niles and the two of you are doing well, too. Get sleep when you can and let me know if you need me to come over to give you that nap time. :) I love you guys!
Beautiful baby Niles! Great pics of the cutie. YAY for peeing, pooping and the eating!I'm sure your a more amazing mother then you ever imagined you would be and it sounds like Matt is a big help too. You guys are an awesome team. Love to you all hope to see you soon. HUGS
What a beautiful boy! You and Matt do good work! All the best things sometime take time. Keep up the good work! Make sure you nap when he naps! I can't wait to see him!
Debbie
He's beautiful! and lots of dark hair wow! The breastfeeding thing is really hard, pumping is harder. I HATE pumping, I did it at work for 9+ months for both my girls. You will get the hang of it- especially when you discover nursing in bed- you both sleep really well when the food source is instant and seconds away! If you don't get the hang of it- DON'T FEEL GUILTY! Breastfeeding is hard. He is beautiful and healthy and has great parents, and the sweetest Mom!
Oh I'm so happy for you Kate. Being a mommy is so amazing, your last paragraph actually got me all teary. I'm glad you have determination to keep nursing. It is (eventually) a wonderful experience, but don't put pressure on yourself either. It worked out great to supplement with Emmett. All my love!
Post a Comment